Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

I've Got the House to Myself This Weekend!

OK, so hubby and his buddies left this morning for their annual weekend guy trip they affectionately call "Lumberjack Weekend." They brought their warm clothes, chainsaws, LP gas heaters, lots of food (and, I'm sure, lots of beer) and headed two hours north of here to camp on 20 acres that one of the guys owns on the Rifle River. There is no electricity and no running water; just one port-a-john and 3 travel trailers that stay on the property permanently. Their goal each spring is to clear the property of all large branches and trees that have fallen over the winter, and make the land "purty" for us "Lumberjack Widows" who join the guys up there in the warmer months to camp, tube on the river, cookout every night, and hang out under the stars together. Awwww, what a bunch of sweethearts those guys are! 

Ah yes, I can see them now...
sitting around a large campfire...laughing and telling jokes...just about 3 sheets to the wind...belching loudly and passing gas, then giggling about it like little girls...belts and the top buttons of their blue jeans undone because they ate too much dinner and with all that beer they've downed, they can hardly breath...the bottoms of their hunting boots smoking because they've practically got them in the fire in an attempt to warm their toes which are starting to freeze because the current temperature up there is 34 degrees...

Yep...I'm quite sure they're having a blast!  LOLOL My hubby even went so far as to send me 2 photos via his cell phone camera today SHOWING ME how much fun they're having. Here's the first...


Hamburgers on the left side of the grill, fish and potatoes cooking in the pan.


At least I know they're eating well! (Not that that was EVER in doubt.)


Here's the second...
(They're burning whole pallets in an attempt to stay warm.)

So..........what will I do with myself this weekend? Well, the first thing I did when I got home from work was to DECISIVELY take control of the remote! I gave it a BIG bear hug and said, "Yeah! Come here, you...YOU'RE MINE!" Next, I watched American Idol (taped, of course, but shows 1 & 2 from this week), Dancing With the Stars (taped) and House Hunters on HGTV. Now I'd say it was probably right about then that I realized how boring it was watching TV without my husband around. He's always good for a few laughs, and/or for me to poke fun at, so now I'm quietly working on my Blog with the TV off.. LOL I think that the 3 cats and our dog are rather bored too because they're all sound asleep on the couch. Oh well. So much for the fun of having the house to myself I guess. :-)

On a good note, at least I got to SEE our daughter briefly as she came downstairs to get some pizza and salad that I'd brought home for dinner before she smiled at me, said, "Thanks, mom," and bounded back up the stairs to her room for the rest of the night. Did I mention that 23-year-old children don't always make for the best company on a Friday night?  lol

Seriously though, I will be keeping pretty busy this weekend. Our church is hosting two high school choirs from Wisconsin tomorrow night and Sunday, and I'll be helping out in the kitchen tomorrow afternoon as we work to feed them, and several of our own church members, dinner Saturday night before the choirs perform for the public at 7 p.m. They'll also be singing during our worship service Sunday morning. My hubby was nice enough to make 4 batches of homemade spaghetti sauce before he went up north (he's a phenomenal Italian cook!), so all I have to do is heat that up in our large crockpot tomorrow at church, boil the mostachioli noodles, combine the two, and serve them. Easy as pie! And then there will be the usual house cleaning, grocery shopping, errands, etc. Before I know it, it will be Sunday afternoon, and my handsome lumberjack will be back home making me watch his bloody TV shows and old war movies. Heck, if he's REALLY nice to me, I might even consider giving the remote back to him!  :-)

Hope you all have a nice and relaxing weekend. Take care!

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHA!!!!

    I love this post, Debbie. And, I can relate to the 23 year old (my granddaughter's age). I "think" she was here for two days. lol

    That sounds like so much fun for the lumberjacks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Used to love it when hubby went away for a weekend hunting or golfing- I usually tore a room apart and painted it while he was out of the way. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby did the Very same thing with His buddies! I REALLY loved MY downtime when he'd leave!Hahahaa
    Hope you enjoyed it!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete